Immerse yourself in the vibrant world of Jamaican culture with Jamaicanopoly, a unique twist on the classic Monopoly board Click Here for more information
The event paying tribute to Chris Kaba has caused upset leading to Ofcom’s involvement and has launched an investigation after Sky News incorrectly described protests against the death of Chris Kaba as crowds paying tribute to the Queen.
The broadcasting watchdog said 598 viewers had complained after presenter Sarah-Jane Mee identified the crowd moving through central London as royal mourners.
A spokeswoman for Ofcom said: “We are investigating whether this programme broke our rules requiring news to be reported with due accuracy.”
The event on Saturday, September 10 saw hundreds turn out to support the family of Mr Kaba, from Wembley, who was shot dead by armed Metropolitan Police officers in south London.
Mr Kaba, 24, was killed on September 5 following a police pursuit of his car which ended in Streatham Hill, south London. The Audi he was driving was hemmed in by two police vehicles in Kirkstall Gardens, a narrow residential street, and one round was fired from a police weapon.
The Metropolitan Police officer involved has been suspended by the force and the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating.
Rapper Stormzy and Hackney Labour MP Diane Abbott were at the protest event for Chris Kaba in the capital, which saw supporters carrying signs saying “Justice for Chris Kaba” and “Black Lives Matter”.
A statement issued by Sky News on the day of the broadcast said: “We apologise for a mistake made earlier today which accidentally misidentified aerial pictures of a protest march for Chris Kaba as a large gathering paying tribute to Queen Elizabeth II. We have also issued a correction on air to clarify the footage previously shown.”